Monday, June 27, 2011

bottom of the "U"

Ahoy!

Welcome back to Indiana...but today I'm not writing from our favorite room six, but our hotel room instead. 

I was going to write earlier, but then I thought it would be best to wait for Monday's all important HCG number so that I could send that out instead of leaving everyone hanging.  I got caught up in a book that I started this morning and since I'm done with it now, Kurtis reminded me that I hadn't blogged for a few days. 

First of all, Kurtis' HCG is down to 27!  Although this drop doesn't seem to be very large, it actually is just what is expected.  Once he gets closer and closer to "normal" (zero), the number doesn't drop as fast.  His drop this week is roughly the same percentage drop as his first drop.  So - hooray! We're on track.

Right now, K is officially in the bottom of the "U" curve that happens with his blood counts.  The process goes something like this...
-K gets chemo
-chemo blasts away cancer cells as well as other healthy cells
-K's cells and blood counts steadily decline
-K's blood "bottoms out" or goes as low as it is going to go
-K's blood counts go back up

The stem cells that he got back are babies and it takes time for them to grow.  He's been at the "bottom" for a few days now, and in the next few days (maybe tomorrow or the next day) his counts should start to go back up.  Yesterday, his platelets (that clot blood) were too low so he had to have a platelet transfusion.  So far, no other transfusions have been needed which is great.  Throughout his entire battle, Kurtis hasn't needed any blood products except for platelets. 

We had a nice time with Kurtis' family while they were out there.  As I write this, they are on their way back to Colorado and they should arrive fairly soon at DIA.  It was good to see them, and I know that Kurtis got an emotional boost seeing them :)

Other than all of that, not much is happening.  We're really (really, really) ready to come home and the closer we get I think we both get a little bit more antsy.  Baseball and golf await! I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I get my kitchen back...besides have a field day!

Anyway - it's time for Master Chef (and some Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter World Ice cream <-- apparently you can only get it at Target...but it is darn good!!) so I will leave you for tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well - sending our love!!
Liz

PS. Have you read any great pirate books?  If you have, please let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment