Wednesday, May 18, 2011

5.18.2011

Well, today has been far more than an emotional roller coaster for me.  I feel like even writing the words "emotional roller coaster" sounds exceedingly cliche, but at this point, I'm not really sure how else to describe what I'm feeling.

First and foremost, I'd like to acknowledge what is currently weighing the heaviest on my heart - even though it has nothing to do with Kurtis or cancer or anything that you might be reading about.  Today, my family lost our dog, Kona.  Kona came into my life when I was in sixth grade and he was great for me.  I had been pestering my parents for years, literally, to get a dog and I can still remember the day we went to go pick him out.  My dad wouldn't tell us where we were going, but I figured it out somehow and felt like I was going to burst the whole car ride out to Black Forrest.  He was a crazy dog, but a good dog and I will really miss him.  He loved sweet bread (doughnuts especially!) and I'm thinking that he has a whole buffet of sweet bread in heaven.  I'm happy he isn't in pain anymore :) <3

With that said, I have some great news!
Kurtis got the result from his brain MRI back today and everything is NEGATIVE!!  This means that the cancer has not moved into his brain and we are eternally thankful for that.  Our doctor in Indiana, Dr. Hanna, said "Let's Roll".  Kurtis and his mom will be heading to Indianapolis on Sunday and then I'll follow shortly after.  I booked our "reservation" at our new "home" - - - an extended stay hotel.  It was really weird to tell the woman who I worked with that we'd be staying there for "sixty nights".  Haha.  Good news is, it is fully furnished, has breakfast daily, and is Chauncey approved.  It also has a pool...which will be good since it's the midwest - and summer - and humid. 

On another positive note, tonight was the 2011 graduation for my school.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with my school, it is a small school, and we had twenty-eight kids walk tonight.  Although I attended a big high school (and loved it) I have found a lot of things I absolutely love about our small hands-on school.  One of the coolest things is that we, as a staff, get to speak about our seniors.  We all get one or two kids to speak about and it makes the kids smile and cry and it is the greatest feeling to pass those emotions on to them.

So, we are currently in a transition period.  Kurtis is preparing to head to Indy Sunday and I'm planning on following with the car (and the dog!) and arriving a week later.  I'll be finishing up school and the teaching of my "intensive" (week long class) about ukulele and then head out.

Thank you for all the offers to take care of our house and lawn - my best friend is going to be living here (at least most of the time) and will be taking care of that kind of stuff.  We've also been blessed by a Cubs fan who didn't want to force us to watch that sad team all summer with MLB TV. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

It's been a rainy day in Fort Collins and we're glad that you're following along with us while Kurtis turns into captain cancer destrcto!

Much love!
Liz (and Kurtis and Chauncey)

No comments:

Post a Comment